Thanks for all the helpful replies, django-users group!

I've got:

- Java and C++ coursework
- a little professional Java, Perl and Tcl/Tk experience (off and on
over several years)
- 1 year large Servoy project (like a Java based Filemaker)
- about 2 years full-time PHP (including one MVC project with
CodeIgniter)

I tried picking up the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book a
couple years ago (without studying Ruby).  I went through the demo app
well enough, but hobbled along with a first pet-project that left me
scratching my head a bit.  Maybe I just didn't put enough time into
it, or maybe it was like what TiNo (above) was saying - had problems
distinguishing between Ruby classes/conventions and the Rails ones,
which just added to my brain load and slowed me down when looking at a
page of Ruby/Rails code.

I spoke with the instructor of the Python and Django courses, and he
said I should take the Python and learn Django online, if I had to
choose (especially since my project may require deviation from the
Django ORM into SQLAlchemy, etc.).  My only reservation being that I
want to start using Django fast to actually build stuff.  And, it
sounds like you guys are saying that taking the Django course should
be okay since I have previous programming experience in other
languages (just brush up and take a book).

Normally I wouldn't even bother with programming bootcamps like this -
but we have an education budget available, and I imagine having a
Python or Django expert by my side for 5 days could be quite helpful
at times.

So, still not sure what I should do, but thanks for the tips.