On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:

> Preference should be given to the author domain explicitly authorized
> resigners, how ever that black box functionality is achieved. Currently,
> there are three DNS-based authorization proposals on the table.  From
> Murray's follow-up comments,  the DKIM-delegate is basically an optimizer
> to avoid doing a lookup.  If this can address the basic protocol fault
> failures the DNS lookup proposals addresses, the I would like see how that
> is done. I plan to study the draft more.

One thing that is missing (and there's a placeholder for it) is examples so
you can see how it works.  I'll make sure that's there for -01.

> The most basic protocol fault is when no signatures, no extra new headers
> are available -- the legacy operation. Here the lookup is required.  If
> not, the bad guy loophole is simply to remain in legacy mode.  They don't
> need to think about trying to find a fake signature.

A lookup for what, and where?

But you're right, there's a risk of a legacy DKIM verifier getting only the
delegation signature for some reason.  The exposure is supposedly
time-limited, and we're assuming verifiers all pay attention to "x=", but
it should also be documented.

-MSK