Hector Santos writes:

 > > You would simply not use DKIM-Delegate if that's your policy.
 >
 > Again, the fault.

Please define "fault".  Also "lookup".  I doubt I'm the only one who
doesn't understand what you mean by these words.

 > The policy is X, but Y is seen.  The payload can be
 > DKIM-Delegate compliant but the actual policy is exclusive and doesn't
 > allow it.

You're thinking about a case where one or more unprivileged users at
the first party have been cracked, and mail that dkim-delegate
authenticates is being sent through 3rd parties but shouldn't be?

If there's no inside threat I don't see how this can happen (stolen
keys are an inside threat, breaking the crypto is outside of scope).

 > signatures.  You are probably right that DKIM-Delegate can't resolve
 > this, but what we want is for DMARC to have the language to say:
 >
 >            "I'm ok with any trusted valid signer"

Why?  "Trusted" by whom?  If it's verifier trust, no problem.  They
know who they trust.  If it's Author Domain trust, use dkim-delegate
t= and put the intersection of your whitelist and visible and
invisible addressees in there (AFAICS this handles Bcc correctly,
modulo concerns with revealing Bcc addresses -- but that is something
for the originator to determine).

Note that AFAICS this is not subject to the "mail-privileges-only user
gets cracked" issue, as presumbly the whitelist is maintained by a
privileged user.  If it's not, this is effectively an "any signature
will do" policy.

 > Overall, the problem is the DMARC verifiers are indeed enforcing the
 > strong policies.  If you have a DKIM-Delegate to address only 3rd
 > party resigners, then you will need a matching backward compatible DNS
 > version of this.

Not really.  The unfortunate semantics of "p=reject" will in practice
be worked around by refusing to respect it when respecting it is a
socially destructive thing to do (eg, if the Author Domain is Yahoo!
or AOL and there's "strong enough" evidence that the message is
legitimate).  That's a loss of face for DMARC, of course, but no more,
since it's already practiced by at least one "billion message" class
mailbox provider.  I suspect Yahoo! and AOL would be willing to
cooperate.[1]

I agree that the various issues with *absence* of DKIM-Delegate and
verifiers that don't implement DKIM-Delegate need to be considered,
and we need to consider the implication of cracking users limited to
mail-sending privilege as described above (in which case a policy
lookup by DNS would give different information).

However, we can, and perhaps should, "handle" this by saying "so don't
let your users get cracked if you have a 1st-party-only or no-mail
policy."

Footnotes:
[1]  Note that even if a mailbox provider allows the users to populate
the whitelist, and an abuser discovers a way to exploit this, the
provider can shut them down very quickly by turning off -Delegate
headers in their MTA.