On 09/17/2014 05:10 PM, John Levine wrote:

Lists that rewrite the From: line were a bad idea then, and are an equally bad idea now, for reasons that have been discussed to death.

Your position on that debate is well known. I'd suggest that arguing over whether or not anyone should rewrite the From: header or not would be rather wasteful at this point as it is now abundantly clear that will be significant fractions of list-forwarding conducted both with and without From: header rewrites for the foreseeable future.

The opportunity for this WG would appear to be to spell out sensible practices for use in the two situations, and perhaps to spell out the trade-offs for deciding between the two, assuming that we are able to do so without devolving into further equine abuse. I'd suggest that specifying a List-Poster: header for use in the rewrite case is an appropriate example of the former.

- Roland