On Fri 10/Oct/2014 06:12:09 +0200 John Levine wrote:

>> A more general comment: reading the wiki and the discussions on this
>> list, it get the impression that we seem to focus more on the issues
>> related to the 'DKIM part of DMARC' then on issues related to the 'SPF
>> part of DMARC'. Is my observation correct, do we tend to forget SPF here?
>
> I agree with Scott, there's not much to say about it.  If you forward
> or remail a message, the origin IP changes, and there's nothing you
> can do about it.

+1 if we are focusing on indirect flows, SPF is out of the game.

> Perhaps we can note that in theory the original sender could add
> mailing list IPs to its own SPF, but I never heard of anyone doing
> that.

I don't think that solution can be recommended, because of the
guesswork implied in adding addresses in bulk.  For example, the
advice given in the first bullet of Appendix D.1[1] gives a "neutral"
result, which is good for local SPF policies but not for DMARC.

Ale

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7208#appendix-D.1