>7208 actually recommends that the HELO string be evaluated every time.
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7208#section-2.3

They do say to check it both times but I don't agree with the rationale
provided. Expanding on the excerpt that Laura provided:

2.3.  The "HELO" Identity

   It is RECOMMENDED that SPF verifiers not only check the "MAIL FROM"
   identity but also separately check the "HELO" identity by applying
   the check_host() function (Section 4) to the "HELO" identity as the
   <sender>.  Checking "HELO" promotes consistency of results and can
   reduce DNS resource usage.

[tzink] How does this reduce DNS resource usage? Aren't we now checking two
domains instead of one?

   If a conclusive determination about the
   message can be made based on a check of "HELO", then the use of DNS
   resources to process the typically more complex "MAIL FROM" can be
   avoided.

[tzink] Disagree here, especially the case of shared hosting environment like
Office 365. Customers relay spam through us and sometimes that spam will fail
SPF checks. Yet, if you checked the SPF record on the HELO string (e.g.,
na01-bn1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com), that would pass an SPF check
every time whereas the @paypal.com in the MAIL FROM would fail SPF. Seems like
you can only be sure you can trust the HELO when you are sure the sender locks
down the outbound mail infrastructure, and that is not the case everywhere.

  Additionally, since SPF records published for "HELO"
   identities refer to a single host, when available, they are a very
   reliable source of host authorization status.  Checking "HELO" before
   "MAIL FROM" is the RECOMMENDED sequence if both are checked.

[tzink] They are for a single host but not necessarily for a single
organization or even a series of organizations with the same set of policies.
It seems like this RFC does not have a mult-tenant hosted environment in mind,
and that is becoming more common.

-- Terry