On 1/20/2015 5:54 PM, Anne Bennett wrote:

Franck Martin <fra...@peachymango.org> writes:

Yes, RFC7208 says evaluate both in parallel, but the result
of an spf=pass/fail is highly constrained on the success or
failure of the MAIL FROM spf test.

Actually, it recommends checking the HELO identity first,
because if you get a definite result from that, you may not
have to evaluate the MAIL FROM identity at all.

However, in practice, optimized receivers will wait for a valid local RCPT TO (Forward-path) address before exerting any potentially, high overhead, wasteful DNS application queries.

For remote RCPT TO address, this generally requires authentication/authorization to relay mail. Under the SUBMIT protocol, HELO/EHLO can be enforced. Our package does not enforce it (it was relaxed) for PORT 587 operations because AUTH is required anyway and in the SOHO market, with NATs around, it was not always possible to put a proper machine client host name for the EHLO/HELO field or the Domain IP Literal was incorrect (did not match the connection ip).

But for public port 25 operations, there is a high payoff to wait. We realized a 60% savings in DNS lookups because 60% of the RCPT TO were invalid! SMTP RFC5321 even provides insight into using delay strategies:

   SMTP Section 3.3 Mail Transactions

   Despite the apparent scope of this requirement, there are
   circumstances in which the acceptability of the reverse-path may
   not be determined until one or more forward-paths (in RCPT
   commands) can be examined.  In those cases, the server MAY
   reasonably accept the reverse-path (with a 250 reply) and then
   report problems after the forward-paths are received and
   examined.  Normally, failures produce 550 or 553 replies.

Overall, all specs are just guidelines. You don't have to follow them exactly where it doesn't make sense. A RECOMMEND is functionally equivalent to a SHOULD, it is not a MUST.

As long as the end result is the same, we should be generally ok so we are basically talking about optimization concepts.

--
HLS