On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:48:03 CST,
Franck Martin <fra...@peachymango.org> wrote:

> [...]

As I read RFC7208, it doesn't explicitly provide a decision
matrix, but it does clearly recommend in section 2.3, that
[i]f a conclusive determination about the message can be made
based on a check of "HELO", then the use of DNS resources to
process the typically more complex "MAIL FROM" can be avoided."

Section 2.4 provides that "SPF verifiers MUST check the
[RFC5321.mailfrom] identity if a [RFC5321.helo] check either
has not been performed or has not reached a definitive policy"

I can't think of a way to read that that doesn't imply that
a "pass" or a "fail" on the basis of an SPF record for the
RFC5321.helo indentity (if such a record exists) is the spf
result; otherwise, the result is based on the RFC5321.mailfrom
identity.

I believe that this is not what DMARC implementations actually
do, and that the proposed change to the draft correctly points
out the difference and makes it clear what DMARC does, so if
I had a vote, I'd vote "yes" to the change.

MJA