----- Original Message -----

Ok, but a specific well known implementation does not seem to do that:
>From http://www.openspf.org/Implementations Mail::SPF has passed the test
>suites

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF/lib/Mail/SPF/Request.pm
"Note: In the case of an empty MAIL FROM SMTP transaction parameter (MAIL
FROM:<>), you should perform a check with the helo scope instead."

an RFC to reach standard status needs to represent what is out there, I'd like
to see more code before I form an opinion.