----- Original Message -----

To try to explain the confusion...

Well, DKIM is easy, DKIM is valid or is not (I'm excluding temp failures due to
DNS etc..). The DKIM spec tells what the dkim result MUST be, and then the
receiver do whatever with this result.

With SPF, the spf=pass/fail result (as shown in the authentication-result
header) is not depending on the sender policy as expressed in the SPF record,
but at whatever the receiver policy is...

Usually, a SPEC will tell the receiver what it SHOULD do to define the spf=
status, but instead it seems RFC7208 says put whatever result you feel like...
Therefore different implementations will produce different results.

I could have an implementation that checks HELO only and check MAILFROM and
ignore the last result to put in the SPF result and that would be in accordance
to RFC7208.
I could have an implementation that checks HELO and MAILFROM, where an helo
pass is better than a MAILFROM fail or softfail, to put SPF=pass as result and
that would be still in accordance with RFC7208.

or I'm mistaken?