On Friday, January 23, 2015 03:03:28 John Levine wrote:
> >RFC 7208 doesn't say the HELO result determines anything. It says IF (I say
> >again IF) a decision has been reached about message disposition based on
> >the HELO result, there is no requirement to go ahead and do a pointless
> >Mail From check.
>
> While that is certainly one plausible interpretation of the 7208
> language, it says "definitive policy result", a phrase that's not
> defined anywhere, which may or may not involve a decision about mail
> disposition.  A "pass" result certainly strikes me as a definitive
> policy result.

Pass is an SPF result.  I probably should have added the word local in front
of policy when I wrote that.  What I wrote above isn't just a random
interpretation, it's what I meant when I wrote it and what we discussed in the
working group.

> >Avoiding a check that has been determined to be pointless is the only
> >change in this area in RFC 7208.
> Indeed, and that turns out to be a lot more incompatible than was
> appreciated at the time.

I'm up to accepting that there's some ambiguity in the language, but I don't
see any actual incompatibility assuming the ambiguity is resolved
appropriately.

If one changes "definitive policy result" to "definitive local policy result"
or
"definitive receiver policy result" then I think there's no ambiguity.

I'm still a bit boggled that anyone is confused about this, but obviously they
are.

Scott K