J. Gomez writes:

 > >> But I would love to be able to reliably rely on DMARC's
 > >> p=reject.

Even if you can in practice, you can't get to 100.0%.  Even at
ducks-in-a-row sites like <frequent-DMARC-contributor-employer.com>
(which is a financial institution and uses that domain for
transactional mailflows), <frequent-DMARC-contributor> has at least
once used his/her "p=reject" address to post to a mailing list I
subscribe to (which didn't implement DMARC).  These things happen.

It's possible that the rate of occurance is low enough that you would
be happy to set your receiving MTA to reject that post because it
failed alignment with the "p=reject" domain.  But I might not,
preferring to rely on a filter that weights "reject legitimate" (eg,
"reject existing correspondent") far more negatively than yours does.

Of course it's up to you what you do.  I'm just saying that the
protocol needs to deal with extreme preferences like the ones I
(hypothetically) attribute to myself.

 > The set (DMARC + p=reject) is unreliable, in the current situation,
 > because it fails to describe the legitimate and real scenario of
 > mailing lists.

Technically, it does describe them: author domains "should not" use
p=reject if it authorizes indirect mailflows From its mailboxes.  AOL
and Yahoo! were abusing p=reject according to the draft of April 2014.

The reason I bring this up is that I find it hard to imagine a world
in which, even after that experience, non-transactional mailflows
currently covered by p=none would have all of their third party relays
registered with a third-party authorization protocol.  On the other
hand botnets mean that draft-kucherawy-dkim-delegate and
draft-levine-dkim-conditional can be massively exploited if ordinary
users at those sites are allowed to use those mechanisms without
oversight by the author domain.  So I suspect that a registry of third
parties is an essential precondition for p=reject to be compatible
with open-subscription mailing lists.

AFAICS, that means that any such protocol is going to be unreliable
in the face of a security breach like those at AOL and Yahoo!.

Of course you could imagine a world where everybody implements DMARC
and p=none doesn't exist.  Then Mediators must register or their
messages won't be delivered, period.  But to me, that's not email. :-(