On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 9:48 AM Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:05 PM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see an agenda item as to whether work around "Display
>> Name" changes are in scope or out of scope for this effort and this working
>> group. It would seem to me that any such efforts are more appropriate for
>> the emailcore working group.
>>

> A quick read of the current charters suggests to me that it's in scope for
> neither.  That seems to be especially true for emailcore.
>
> Do you have such a change to propose?

I was hoping for a ruling that such an effort be ruled out of scope for the
DMARC effort/working group and further discussions be limited by the
Chairs. As "Not Douglas E. Foster" (John Levine)  noted, it is a free form
field. DMARC has been intended from the start to mitigate direct domain
abuse by 3rd parties. I'm hoping that the working group will make better
progress by focusing on issues specific to DMARC and not try boiling the
ocean by trying to "fix" all forms of abuse through this effort. Display
Name abuse is a broader problem that DMARC simply is not in a position to
address. This is especially true as most current implementations are at the
MTA and MUA providers are not visible among the participants in this
working group. My opinion is that trying to address this problem space in
this working group is somewhat like trying to push on a rope.

If the Chairs are willing to make this call then there is no need to have
it as an agenda item for the session given the limited amount of time and
the number of other issues that might be better addressed using that
limited time.

Michael Hammer