On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:26 AM Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson=
40wisc....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> I admittedly know nothing about ATPS, but I think its fundamental problem
> is that it authorizes 3rd parties at the domain level and that makes it not
> much better than SPF, just different.

Translated into IETF-ese: "I have not read your document but I do have an
opinion about it..."   ;-)

Seriously though, yes, that's correct.  Note that its status is
Experimental; the goal was to see if this was a useful thing to implement
and upon which to iterate if the experiment yielded positive results.  But
I think there were only ever about two implementations.

Email domains that have more than a few users don't want to authorize every
> potential 3rd party (converges quickly to all of them, for large/complex
> organizations) to sign as every user/address in the domain.  Even if SPF
> didn't have the 10 DNS lookup limitation, I would not choose put every 3rd
> party into our domains' SPF records.  I'd essentially be authorizing most
> of the [legitimate] internet to use the domains.

Yes, it has this scaling problem.  Had it been shown to be effective at
dealing with the indirect mail flows issues that DMARC forced to be
front-and-center a few years later, I imagine we could've revised ATPS to
be more scalable.

-MSK