On 11/12/20 3:23 PM, John Levine wrote:
> You now can put a DMARC
> record on a name below the org domain to shadow a subtree, but I don't
> think that is a problem that needs to be solved.

I'm confused by this statement.  Are you saying that you can "now" do subtree
shadowing with sp?  as in the following language is being changed "now"?

"Note that "sp" will be ignored for DMARC records published on subdomains of
Organizational Domains due to the effect of the DMARC policy discovery
mechanism described in Section 6.6.3."

Or that you meant to say "not" instead of "now" - which is more accurate to
current state, I think.

I would assert that for "sp" to be realistically achievable (i.e. the policy
coverage for the non-existant and long tail of domain/host names that
*shouldn't* be sending unauthenticated email) for a complex organization this
is a problem that needs to be solved.

To further clarify the use case for walking the tree: it allows us to put
sp=reject on the org domain (backstopping the problem) and contain legacy
environments to solve through reconfiguration/attrition by setting sp=none on
the applicable 3rd/4th-level domains.

Jesse