On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 4:34 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I raised objections to the definition of "non-existent", which never
> received an adequate response before the discussion went silent.
>
> DMARC checks the From  header address, which may exist only as an
> identifier used for mass mailings.   These mailings are often sent by an
> ESP using an unrelated SMTP address.    As such, the From address need not
> be associated with any A, AAAA, or MX record.    I assert that the only
> viable definition of non-existent is "not registered", as evidenced by
> absence of an NS record.

This is a discussion of DMARC, not of PSD, right?  DMARC defines this test
in an Appendix, and then makes it non-mandatory.  PSD says to apply that
test for domains that request it.

Hooking this test up to registration requires introducing RDAP or something
similar.  Is that what we're talking about here?

I don't believe the proposed definition of "non-existent" is reliably true
> even in the special case of interest for this document, impersonation fraud
> occurring at the top of an organizational structure.  Example.PSD may
> legitimately use mail.Example.PSD for email and www.example.psd for web.
>  If the proposed condition MUST always be true, I have not seen that fact
> demonstrated.   Since the document raises a general concern about
> fraudulent use of non-existent domains, the definition used should be one
> that can be generalized.,

This sounds like something that should be solved in DMARC, not PSD, but
naturally consensus wins here, so have at it.

-MSK