Doug,

On Mon 03/May/2021 14:25:54 +0200 Douglas Foster wrote:
No.  I can't talk straight.

I meant to say that we need N unique (and valid) smtp TO addresses, so that an attacker cannot send a single email address and wait for an rua report to know where it lands.

A simple positive DSN can confirm email addresses better than elaborate DKIM design. To confirm delivery is usually not considered a privacy violation, given that the sender learned the recipient's address. Privacy violation occurs when senders track the recipient's opening of each message, which is typically obtained by inserting unique images in HTML messages.

Avoiding to reveal final email addresses requires various precautions, which, if I understood what Laura wrote, can be put into effect on forwarding. I would *add to the Privacy Consideration section* that, due to reporting, changing the envelope from is not enough, From: has to be changed as well in order to forward without revealing the final address.

Valid addresses are needed to hinder usage of bogus addresses to defeat the
test.

However, the aggregate report counts the number of messages, not the number of recipients.

Requiring aggregation on DKIM selector follows the sane logic to hinder tracking an individual.

Using DKIM selectors for tracking will also put a huge load on DNS if implemented at scale, so it needs to be obstructed.

I think mass mailers have better means to track recipients. But I agree that to generate, publish, retrieve and report million DKIM selectors would be somewhat impractical. Putting a limit on aggregate report size (even if not requested by the report consumer) can prevent excessive disaggregation.

It is also not enough to null the DKIM selector; the null aggregate still needs to meet the N recipient requirement.  If not, then additional selectors need to be nulled or the nulled-selector messages need to be completely excluded from the report.

Most reports I send have <count>1</count>, given my volumes. Yet, by aggregating many of them one could reach significant sums.

If the To domain is included in the report, the aggregation rules should still apply.  If they cannot be met, then the To domain must be nulled out or the report not sent.

This is a recipient's choice. If I wanted to stay anonymous, I'd use a domain like gmail.com rather than tana.it.

I favor making To domain an option which the owner domain requests and the sending domain chooses to follow or ignore.  This provides upward compatibility.  The request for this data element keeps coming up.  The protocol can allow flexibility so that the participants make the final decision.

It is already optional in the I-D.  (Not that I find it useful.)

I asked previously whether report senders do any filtering based on domain reputation, and the answer was "probably not".  I think the specification should encourage recipients to omit reporting to sources with negative reputations, as their motive for report collection may be unrelated to self-identification.

Some receivers cannot report mail discarded during early SMTP phases at all, for example because the DMARC filter is run after the end of data.

I want the protocol to address all of Laura's concerns.  I think ensuring aggregation is the best way to do this.

DMARC cannot address those concerns directly, IMHO. However, it can note under what conditions aggregate reporting doesn't violate privacy. It is especially useful to note that, in most cases, aggregate reports do NOT constitute a privacy risk.

Best