On June 28, 2022 4:33:15 PM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>On Mon 27/Jun/2022 15:54:51 +0200 John R Levine wrote:
>>> Please recall what you said in April:
>>>
>>>    How about if we say that if the initial domain has psd=y, that's the org
>>>    domain and you don't look anywhere else.  That is easy to explain and I
>>>    don't think we are likely to find anything that better matches the
>>>    expectations of people who send mail from PSDs.
>>>     https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/UEwREV5oDD0BoyNpaUB9GN6ixtI
>>
>> I thought about it some more and changed my mind.  That occasionally happens.
>

>Right, but how about discussing the merit of it?
>
>What can one find continuing the walk after psd=y?
>
>For example, let's consider an imaginary bank, com.bank, say.  They use that
>domain as corporate domain, and have a DMARC record.  They also delegate zones
>to local subsidiaries.  One of them, uk.com.bank in turn delegates to other
>banks in the UK and sends mail like uk.com.  So you may end up having a DMARC
>record at each level:
>
>bank -> psd=y,
>com.bank -> psd=n or psd=u (for private use),
>uk.com.bank -> psd=y.
>
>Does our model support that?  How else should they set their records up?

I think that's sufficiently obscure that I doubt we care, but I think it is
supported just fine.

The only nuance is that in this scenario, mail that is 5322.from uk.com.bank
would have to use 5321.mailfrom and DKIM d= uk.com.bank.  Subdomains wouldn't
align, which I think is fine.

The operational distinction between a PSD and a non-PSD is that subdomains of a
PSD are different organizations and subdomains of non-PSDs are part of the same
organization.  I believe that's the correct distinction.

Scott K