On Tue 28/Jun/2022 18:46:18 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On June 28, 2022 4:33:15 PM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

What can one find continuing the walk after psd=y?

For example, let's consider an imaginary bank, com.bank, say.  They use that
domain as corporate domain, and have a DMARC record.  They also delegate zones
to local subsidiaries.  One of them, uk.com.bank in turn delegates to other
banks in the UK and sends mail like uk.com.  So you may end up having a DMARC
record at each level:

bank -> psd=y,
com.bank -> psd=n or psd=u (for private use),
uk.com.bank -> psd=y.

Does our model support that?  How else should they set their records up?

I think that's sufficiently obscure that I doubt we care, but I think it is
supported just fine.

The only nuance is that in this scenario, mail that is 5322.from uk.com.bank
would have to use 5321.mailfrom and DKIM d= uk.com.bank.  Subdomains wouldn't
align, which I think is fine.

However, if you continue the tree walk after uk.com.bank, you'll find the org domain is com.bank. That way, d=whatever.com.bank in a signature would be aligned, which is not correct.

The operational distinction between a PSD and a non-PSD is that subdomains of a
PSD are different organizations and subdomains of non-PSDs are part of the same
organization.  I believe that's the correct distinction.

Yes.

Best