On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 6:04 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> that
> >>
> >> “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” –
> George
> >> Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm unusually dense today but I still don't understand what any
> of
> > this has to do with DMARC failure reports.
>

> By remembering failure reports issued in the past, new failures having
> already reported characteristics (e.g. same forwarder) can be silently
> ignored.  That would greatly reduce noise.
>

> Best
> Ale
> --

This is a horrible idea. It presupposes that failures from the same origin
(e.g. same forwarder) at different points in time are the result of the
same underlying cause. This may be true in some cases but not true in other
cases. Operational environments are not static. Even for short time frames
this is a bad approach.

Michael Hammer