On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 6:17 AM Ken O'Driscoll <ken=
40wemonitoremail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> > Any hint about why it's not used?
> >

> PII. Report generators are reluctant to send reports that may contain PII
> for compliance, security, and privacy reasons.
>
> Plus, if you are a report receiver those reasons may be valid too. What's
> the point in requesting failure reports if your email ops people are
> prohibited from actually reading them etc.
>
> I don't think their use is ever going to grow and will probably further
> decline over the years.
>
> Keeping it as-is for backwards compatibility is probably the best option.

I'm not sure that it's necessary to keep it as is for backward
compatibility. Both RFC 7489 and DMARCbis contain the phrase "unknown tags
MUST be ignored" in the General Record Format text, so even if DMARCbis
were to strike the 'ruf' tag and the concept of failure reporting entirely,
it shouldn't break anything for compliant legacy or updated implementations.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.