On Tue 17/Oct/2023 14:03:40 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On October 17, 2023 7:32:22 AM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
On Mon 16/Oct/2023 20:00:00 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On October 16, 2023 5:53:13 PM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
On Fri 13/Oct/2023 16:35:43 +0200 Neil Anuskiewicz wrote:
Thank you, sir. That’s part of the reason to cautiously transition away from
the PSL. It has the feel of a throwback to a time when people thought the
number of total users would be in the hundreds or thousands. Wouldn’t a
cautious transition alleviate your concerns? Not everyone, everywhere will pull
the switch at midnight.

Can we engage ICANN for sending a kind request to upgrade their DMARC records
to all PSDs?  Or can we do it on their behalf?  Or on IETF behalf?  Or?

Is that a subject for 118?

Which ICANN managed TLDs have DMARC records (PSDs which are either not TLDs or
not ICANN managed TLDs are not anything ICANN has anything to say about)?

According to Doug's file:

ale@pcale:~/tmp/zdkimfilter/regdom$ for d in $(grep -v '^[/* ]' icann_public_suffix_list.dat); do l=$(grep
"^$d," PSL_entries_with_DMARC_policies.csv); if [ -n "$l" ]; then echo "$d ->
$l"; fi done
[list elided]

Unless I missed one, none of those are TLDs except gov and mil and all of the
rest are under CC TLDs, so doubly nothing to do with ICANN.  ICANN doesn't
manage gov and mil, but they both have psd=y in their records already, so I'm
not sure why they are even on the list.

Ok, those are PSDs, not TLDs. They are in the ICANN part of the PSL. Does that imply they have nothing to do with ICANN?!?

If ICANN cannot help, we can as well consider the so-called private domains of the PSL.

DMARCbis assumes that PSOs include this tag with a value of 'y' to indicate that the domain is a PSD. Indeed, Section 5.6 specifies:

    In addition to the DMARC Domain Owner actions, if a PSO publishes a DMARC
    record it MUST include the psd tag (see Section 5.3) with a value of 'y'
    ("psd=y").

Non-compliance in this case affects all independent subdomains of those PSL domains. Admittedly, they are not so frequently met. However, before switching from PSL to Tree Walk, operators would probably want to see at least a (significant) part of those set their tags, no?

Best