On Sat 30/Mar/2024 21:05:17 +0100 Seth Blank wrote:
This is a real operational problem, so I wanted to expand guidance. The note about best practice may or may not be appropriate here, but I think it works. There are multiple M3AAWG documents which cover this use case, and we can also link them if valuable.

[...]

Since DMARC only relies on an SPF pass, all failures are treated equally. Therefore, it is considered best practice when using SPF in a DMARC context for domains that send email to end records with a soft fail ("~" / "~all").

The last phrase is overly strict. To /consider using/ soft fail ("~") or neutral ("?") should be enough. For example, I use an SPF record terminating like so:

   ?exists:%{ir}.list.dnswl.org -all

It can be criticized for imposing DNS usage, but it works too. One could also use ~include:vast.whitelist.example before -all; it would work as well.

Using ~all is akin to use p=none. Be armed but only load blanks. Its being best practice bears witness to the weakness of domain based authentication. Currently we are in the mid of a swamp, but if we hope to ever get out we can start by softening these kind of requirements.

Best