On 3/31/2024 11:32 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

On Sun 31/Mar/2024 14:22:04 +0200 Douglas Foster wrote:
On SPF, our document should say simply,
" a DMARC-compliant evaluator MUST NOT reject a message, based on SPF result, prior to receiving the Data section and checking for aligned and verifiable signatures."
Rejecting at RCPT TO is much quicker than waiting for the whole message.

On this, I agree.

  People who publish -all know what they do.

I posit that there is a non-insignificant amount of domain owners that don't know what the consequences of -all are other than that they've been instructed to use "-all" by a guide online, (questionably) by an ESP, or by auditors or check boxes for several notorious vendor health checks that still recommend to use it as a best practice, or even as the defaults that came with their domain from <registrar>, and don't know any better.

I don't think it's fair to characterize SPF -all's entire usage based on the assumption everyone knows what it does, when reality demonstrates otherwise.

- Mark Alley