On 2018-02-03 16:32, Adam Borowski wrote:
On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 12:38:49PM -0600, goli...@dyne.org wrote:
On 2018-02-03 11:18, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 02/03/2018 07:14 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..some people _HAVE_ to use Tor, because their lives depends on it.
> >
> > ..and, we need a backup plan whenever Tor fails.
> > Again a life and death issue.
> And there should not ever be a debate as to if someone "needs" it.
>
> Asking a few simple questions about the distro would be an effective
> spam filter without discrimination.

Our spam setup has blocked about 29700 spammers in the last year and not one spammer has gotten through. Only about a dozen folks have had problems registering. So our system is effective and not going anywhere. We also have questions BTW and before we upgraded our line of defense, spammers were
still getting through.

Including "please ask on IRC for registration" in the error message sounds like a good alternative for those who for whatever reason believe they need to use Tor (be their fear warranted or not, it's not our duty to judge).

Great minds! We just now decided to send them to freenode IRC #d1g-users in that automated message. I'm hoping to see 'ghostlands' pop up there soon.

An automated exception system takes hours to code, and, as you just
mentioned, was not 100% effective. A human, on the other hand, has natural
detection of all bulk abuse attempts, and will let through at most an
individual abuser, who could have easily registered anyway.

Ralph is a wizard at cobbling anti-spam stuff together. It has, with a few exceptions, been trouble-free and 100% effective. I may be wrong but iirc the setup didn't take that long to put in place. (golinux sends some virtual ice cream to Ralph.)

golinux