Quoting Andrew McGlashan (andrew.mcglas...@affinityvision.com.au):

> But whilst I still can, I'll at least run my own servers and rely on the
> "cloud" as little as possible.

Indeed, outsourcing in general is pernicious enough, but outsourcing to
unknown infrastructure run by unknown strangers seems worse.

> Librem 5 phone coming next year for me.

Ah, Librem.  Let's see:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161010040458/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/02/23/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same-as-libre/
https://web.archive.org/web/20161010100959/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/08/09/the-truth-about-purism-behind-the-coreboot-scenes/

Internet Archive links because someone (guess who?) raised a stink, and
Alex Gagniuc's comments were then taken down.

> Opting out of the big 5 is also very much something I would like to do:
>
> 1. Google (including Android)
> 2. Apple
> 3. Microsoft (including LinkedIn, Skype and other privacy nightmares)
> 4. Amazon (including AWS)
> 5. Facebook
>
> Oh and Twitter would make it six...

One coping strategy that I continue to think works pretty well is to
keep one's digital footprint spread around so that minimal concentration
of that data ends up with any potential opponent -- in the sprit of
Self's Law.  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#selfs-law

  Self's Law

  "Large, low-entropy pools are inherently dangerous."

  Karsten M. Self originated this observation in the 1990s. Here's an
  example [link] of his comments on this syndrome, following the attack
  that destroyed the NYC World Trade Center: "Firm belief that large pools
  of low entropy are inherently dangerous: tall buildings, large crowds,
  nuclear power, comprehensive databases, absolute power, monopolies. Seek
  the mean, keep energies and potentials balanced. Bipolar constructs are
  inherently more stable than monopolar (hegemonical) ones, and multipolar
  (diversified) structures better than both. That's not total anarchy —
  nexuses of power or control within a larger pool are OK, and virtually
  requisite. Should probably add universal networks and software
  monocultures to the list, as well."

  Vodaphone Greece furnished [link], in 2005, a fine example with its
  large, invisibly tappable digital access to all cellular telephone
  traffic in Athens.

Towards the goal of minimising concentration of data from one's digital
footprint, IMO it's worth paying very close attention to the abuse of
Javascript and browser user state data, and take active measures to
curtail and interfere with those activities.

About smartphone security.  Ahem:
https://blog.torproject.org/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor

Note that the key and unsolved challenge is the baseband controller,
a remotely vulnerable blackbox device that prevents any smartphone OS,
no matter how good and 100% ope source, from having reliable security
against even a modestly funded opponent (such as, these days, a
motivated medium-sized business).

Personally, my interim solution is to _eschew_ smartphones and, for now,
use a 2000s-decade Motorola 3g flipphone without any sensitive data on
it and assume that the device could be compromised and put under remote
control by a motivated opponent via its baseband chipset.  Sensitive
data I have remain entirely on other, non-cellular-based devices.

The Tor Project people mentioned a clever workaround:  Install/configure
hardened Android such as they describe on a wifi-only tablet computer,
and use it on cellular networks only via a separate (e.g.,
USB-connectable) mifi 'modem'.  Which means that the baseband controller
cannot compromise the Android device's security from underneath, and
you can always just disconnect the mifi 'modem' any time you want to
make sure it can't do anything with/to the tablet at all.  want to

Otherwise, IMO, cellular device 'security' is a mirage.