Oblivious of the basics of ML/Usenet reply rules?
0) a reply to a message must be sent as a reply to that message, not pasted
into another message's reply;
1) the author of the message one is replying to must be quoted before the
quoted message.

  Yet another example of your childish attitude when you're caught acting
like a moron.  After all, that's the only sensible reason you hide behind a
nickname.

On 05/05/2018 at 03:34, taii...@gmx.com wrote:

[...]

>>> Purism is a very dishonest company and their
>>> phone is yet another example of faux-freedom hardware like their
>>> laptops, they do absolutely nothing to address the real issues like the
>>> baseband problem.
>>   Not in the least as dishonest as you are.  First off, what does Purism have
>> to do with the thread's subject?
> Someone replied talking about their phones and I wanted to provide
> information
  You're spreading lies and misinformation, nothing else, nothing more.

>> Nothing at all, but you feel compelled at
>> disparaging them at every turn of the road.  Like bashing the librem5, a
>> smartphone in the design stage, which hardware is not yet finalised yet you
>> keep stating it is not going to have a modem and WiFi unit separated from
>> the CPU.  How do you know?
> Because that is a mandatory feature on any secure phone,

1) I never contended this is not an important feature of a really secure
phone, so your answer is bogus.
2) This does not answer my question: "How do you know?"

> as evidenced by
> many competing products such as the free replicant and the costly GSMK
> CryptoPhone from ESD America which is currently sold to government
> agencies marketed with a "Baseband Firewall"

  You're comparing different kinds of products, Purism5 is a consumer
smartphone, not a "government agencies marketed" cryptophone.  Just like a
regular laptop is just a general purpose laptop, not a cryptolaptop.

> If it had that they would mention it as it is a core feature.

  Is this all you have to back up your claims?
  Again, the Librem5's hardware layout is not finalized yet and they are
still in the transition phase from the i.MX6 to the i.MX8 CPU, they do not
advertise what is not there yet.  But they are intentioned to design the
smartphone to have the different logical components actually separated in
hardware:

https://forums.puri.sm/t/level-of-freedom-of-librem-phone-especially-gsm-mdule/1316

        First we want to make sure that the 3G/4G modem is as separate as
        possible from the main CPU and RAM. Thus we can not and will not use
        chipsets which combine main processor + baseband in one - like
        Qualcom Snapdragon etc. The mode will be a separate part with
        defined electrical interfaces (like USB + UART) and no direct access
        to main CPU peripherals. We will also implement some form a hardware
        kill switch, i.e. a switch to disconnect the modem from the main
        system so that users can be sure that the modem is a) not powered
        anymore and b) there is not data flow from main processor to/from
        the modem.

  A two-minute fact-checking would have spared you yet another occasion at
proving yourself an asshole.  But since you're not interested in facts but
just on leading a smearing campaign from an anonymous account, there you go.

>> How could one accept your Talos' obsessive advertizing
> I have a lot of free time with nothing better to do than to provide free
> information and help people get the best stuff for their money as others
> did for me - I don't get paid for anything as not everyone is a paid shill.

  Not everyone, right, but you are indeed.  A shill, I mean.  You probably
are too stupid to get paid for your services.

> By those same standards I also work for lenovo, asus (my also "obsessive
> advertising" of the last and best x86 choices) and several arms of the
> federal government (my telling people they should take amtrak as it is
> much nicer than the bus and of course my defense of the CIA's spying
> programs)
  In this ML you only keep exalting the qualities of Talos' products,
nothing else.

>> when you proved yourself over and over a compulsive liar and an emotionally
>> driven idiot?  Do us and yourself a big favour, please shut your mouth up.
> I am providing information
  You are only spreading lies and gratuitous misinformation.

> about the best current options and I will
> continue to do so until I am banned.

  Which I hope is going to happen soon.

> All my facts are cited and anyone can look them up.

  I did look them up, and I could easily disprove them.

> I am only one person who is going up against companies with million
> dollar marketing departments and I don't see why people like you and so
> many others are so intent on shutting down protest and constructive
> criticis.
  Because you are not protesting and you are not producing constructive
criticism.  You are just spreading lies and misinformation.

[...]

> The thing is that they are not doing their best and the problems are not
> minor details.

  They are actually at the forefront at providing the most libre current
Intel hardware and they do acknowledge there is still work to do and they
fully document what they could not disable of the proprietary firmware in
their laptops.  However this is OT, as the thread is about smartphones, not
laptops.

> My issue with purism isn't their selling products not 100% free it is
> their dishonest marketing that equates a computer with an entirely
> blobbed hardware initiation process to be "running libre open source
> firmware" "all chips hand selected to protect your privacy and freedom"
> and implying endorsement from the FSF and RMS which is very dishonest.

  They do not "implying endorsement from the FSF" where they did not receive
that endorsement.  In fact their SO is indeed endorsed by FSF:

https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-adds-pureos-to-list-of-endorsed-gnu-linux-distributions-1

  They do not imply any other endorsement.

> There are various other companies selling actually libre hardware

  Not libre smartphones, not laptops based on current Intel hardware that a
lot of professionals cannot do without.  Like myself: if I could not use a
laptop with x86_64 hardware virtualization capable cpus I should quit my
job, as that is a prerequisite to most of the solutions my employer sells
our customers.  So, Librem laptops are the best and only choices I have when
I need a new system that really was as free as possible.

> and its not as though it is impossible to do, purism could have released an
> owner controlled FT3 platform laptop which despite claims to the
> contrary is only slightly slower than their devices, was faster than the
> first two they released and already had a functional coreboot port that
> is mostly free.

  The problem with AMD cpus is that their ME-like system (Platform Security
Processor) cannot be disabled, or at least not as far as they figured out
IME can be.

> There is no such thing as aperfect system after all

> There are various other brand new owner controlled systems out there
> which have entirely open source firmware.
>
> Right now I am playing the DRM free Witcher 3 at max settings on my blob
> free KGPE-D16

  Can this motherboard be fitted inside a laptop or a smartphone?  :-)

[...]

>> I can't speak for other people, but I prefer to do have a somewhat
>> good and libre phone that I can control over no phone or phones I
>> can't use the way I want them to.
> I would instead suggest a Galaxy S3 running the blob-free replicant, it
> has libre baseband firmware

  False:
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS3I9300

Wi-Fi   BCM4334 Linux kernel    Linux kernel support, proprietary loaded
firmware
Bluetooth       BCM4334 Linux kernel    Linux kernel support, proprietary loaded
firmware
GPS     BCM47511        iFixit  Proprietary userspace, no free implementation:
BCM4751
Camera (front)  S5K6A3  Linux kernel    Linux kernel support, free userspace,
proprietary loaded firmware

  And, once more, how can you compare this against a smartphone that is
still on the drawing board?

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-5/

        Since we are not building yet-another Qualcomm SOC based phone, but
        starting from scratch, we are working to narrow down all the design
        choices and fabrication partners in the coming months.

> The "purists" have again refused to accept input from the community

  They do, like when they listened to the community's objections and took
off Nvidia GPUs from their laptops.

[...]

> Hardware kill switches are pointless with an un-accountable blobbed
> baseband firmware which can easily be recording your location, audio,
> etc without you knowing and storing it for later transmission.

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-5/

        The options are further limited by our requirement not to include
        any proprietary firmware on our host CPU (which we wrote about
        before): most fabricators are unfamiliar with i.MX 6 or i.MX 8 and
        do not want to risk a development based on it, which narrows our
        hardware design and manufacturing partners to a much smaller list.

> I have no issue with purism selling what they are selling, my problem
> has and will continue to be only with their dishonest marketing.

  Which exists only in the falsities you keep spreading around in thoroughly
OT posts.  Keep your smear campaigns away from this list, please.

Alessandro