Just to add that I run a couple of HP Microservers (one for general home
server, one for MythTV) that I picked up when they had some tasty cashback
offers. At my last place, we put a few of them in for customers where we needed
a small basic server for something. Not exactly the highest speck server
around, but not the worst either :
AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor
Up to 8G ECC RAM
4 tray loading 3 1/2" SATA bays, plus a 5 1/4" bay with SATA, and an eSATA port.
2 low profile PCIe slots, IIRC one x16 and can't remember the size of the other.
Built in gigabit ethernet
No idea what the graphics capabilities are like (built in VGA output) as I only
run a text console on them.

IIRC, when I measured power consumption, it was 40-something watts for a
machine with 3 HDs and two DVB-T tuners (HVR1350).

Fairly quiet, it's about a 10" cube with a large fan in the back - so it
doesn't sound like a jet engine winding up.

My biggest gripe with them is the huge very bright blue HP logo (turns orange
if management utils installed and there's a fault) on the front - I put a
couple of layers of blue tape over them to tone it down a bit !

IIRC with the Gen 8 model, not only did they "jazz up" the front panel, but
they put an Intel processor in.