On 2018-06-25 08:03 AM, wirelessd...@gmail.com wrote:
I have an old desktop at home running Devuan ascii for some basic
server/file storage functions.  Unfortunately the disk sounds like
it's almost dead so I took a clonezilla backup and now want to find
some replacement hardware.  Looking to get something a bit more power
conservative than this old desktop tower.

The old machine has an AMD A8-3850 APU with 1TB HDD and 4GB Ram,
sitting on a A75M-HVS motherboard.  I'm hoping I can just build/buy a
replacement of some sort and load the clonezilla backup directly onto
the new disk and just boot up, reinstalling the grub boot loader from
livecd?  Or will I have to reinstall if it's going onto different
hardware?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get or where to look?  Intel vs AMD?

My suggestion would be to keep your existing hardware, as it would seem more than sufficient for the required functions.  I would throw a couple of 2TB hybrid SATA drives in there and give it some more RAM, I think the board will support 16GB, but 8GB would probably be OK.

The performance should increase and the money you save can buy a decent amount of beer and pizza.

Clarke