On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 20:56:46 -0700
spiralofhope <spiralofh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand there are problems with USB sticks, but what's wrong with
> that connection for a drive?  (assuming cabling won't get kicked
> out)

This isn't Devuan-related, but as I had been given a flat dictate I did
some research and hoped to bend an ear on this.  What I can tell these
are the main issues:

- Storage reliability
- Storage temperature
  (e.g. sustained-usage storage is not properly cooled and will cook)
- Temperature of the USB area itself
- Frail cabling or seating of the device
- Device removal without unmounting/ejecting
- Device removal while the device/area is hot

So for a low-quality server, it seems to me that this is the chain:

computer -> usb 3.1 -> drive (dock)

The only problems I would have with this are:

- Temperature of the USB area on the computer
- eSata adapter or USB dock trustworthiness
- Hard drive cooling
  (Is a passively-cooled vertical drive okay?)

Am I missing something?  With backups, I'd be fine with the above risks.

Also, I reproduced a heat issue with the worst offender and worst
conditions I could manage.. a shit usb 2.0 key in a 3.1 port situated
above a battery.  Heat issues were solved using either a cable or a
hub.  I can only guess why that worked..

--

An M.2 to SATA hack was mentioned, but basic searching for a simple
conversion method came up dry.  I'll keep that in mind for when I