> On Jun 25, 2018, at 6:14 PM, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
>
> I have to say your current computer is more than powerful enough for
> your current uses and I would advise saving your money instead, perhaps
> instead just buy a SSD for the primary drive and some storage disks for
> storage.
> Your current system is also pre-PSP so it lacks AMD's version of the
> evil ME thus I very much suggest keeping it.
>
> If you insist on upgrading I would consider:

[snip]

Reinforcing Taiidan’s suggestions, something built around a low TDP CPU would
be good.  The power draw from the CPU is going to dominate the power
consumption of the whole system, so going with something that has a low TDP
will ensure you stay well inside your power budget.  Desktop systems tend to be
in the 65W to 95W zone, there are some 35W parts that are common in all-in-one
systems, or look for something intended for laptops and embedded systems that
are 15W TDP.

Unfortunately, you can’t just buy a Core i3 7100U (15W TDP) and install it in
your choice of motherboard and install all that in your favorite case.  You’re
looking at either barebones system (like an Intel NUC or a barebones Shuttle)
or a mini-ITX+CPU kit.  If you’re lucky, you can find a compact PC (think: one
of the Dell small desktops) with a low TDP chip in it, probably a Celeron or
Pentium Silver or the like.

The FreeNAS forums will have some good hardware recommendations, although they
may be biased towards systems with ECC memory support, a rare feature in the
low TDP world.

The good news is the last several years of CPU development have been all about
performance per watt, not raw performance, so there are a lot of low TDP
options out there with reasonable performance.  Since your A8-3850 has a 100W
TDP,  just about anything will be an improvement.

Good luck!

jf
--
John Franklin