In message <20090716110830.ga7...@shinkuro.com>, Andrew Sullivan writes:
> Well, I'd discuss it, anyway.  I know that if someone came with a
> document outlining the best way to do split-brain DNS -- which is
> widely deployed and an alternative namespace if ever I've seen one --
> and especially how _not_ to do it, I would take it to be a serious
> contribution.  Similarly, I am listed as one of the authors of the
> DNS64 draft, which is (let's face it) a way to configure an
> interative-mode resolver so that it consistently replaces one kind of
> answer with another kind (or "lies", if you like).  Yet nobody seems
> to have thought so far that _that_ is an especially bad idea.

The big difference is that you still ultimately go to the machine
that you are looking up.  You are not changing the namespace by
adding or removing names.  Additionally the amount rewriting of
AAAA queries will reduce over time as the world moves to IPv6.
There is very little collateral damage being done by DNS64.

There is a lot of collateral damage when you map NXDOMAIN/NXRRSET
to a search page.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC