At Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:16:47 -0800,
Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Greetings again. Andrew, Kazunori, and I have done a massive
> revision on the DNS terminology draft based on the input we got on
> the -00. We're sure we have further to go,

  So far, great job!

> but we wanted people to
> look over the new version and give feedback. Thanks!

[snip from http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoffman-dns-terminology-01.txt]
7.  Zones

   This section defines terms that are used when discussing zones that
   are being served or retrieved.

   Zone -- A unit of organization of authoritative data.

   [...]

   Authoritative data -- RRsets in the Answer section of a DNS response
   that has the AA bit in the response header set to 1.
[/snip]

  This seems to describe how Authoritative data must be marked in
  a DNS response, rather than to define Authoritative data.

  Besides, section 6.2.7 of RFC1034 shows a non-authoritative RR in
  the Answer section of a response which has the AA bit.

  I'ld suggest using the following text from RFC1034 (section 4.2.1):
  "The authoritative data for a zone is simply all of the RRs attached to
  all of the nodes from the top node of the zone down to leaf nodes or
  nodes above cuts around the bottom edge of the zone."

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly