In message <5d60ceeb-a781-4db4-aad6-9ef57a482...@difference.com.au>, David Cake
 writes:

> > On 16 Jul 2015, at 4:11 am, Francisco Obispo <fobi...@uniregistry.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> This was proposed in the working group.   It obviously doesn't work,
> >> first because TOR can't come up with that kind of money, but second
> >> because TOR doesn't want a TLD (hellekin's erroneous statements
> >> notwithstanding).   What they want is a special-use name.   A domain name
> >> does not accomplish the intended purpose, because it has to be resolved
> >> by sending a query to a DNS server.   A third objection was one Ed raised
> >> earlier for an unrelated reason: we can't assume that the TOR project
> >> will continue to exist as an entity that can own a delegation.   What
> >> happens when that stops?   Does the Church of Anatman get to buy the
> >> domain and start snooping on TOR connections?
> >>

> > Well do they want a TLD but they don’t have the money? or don’t want a
> > TLD? perhaps the problem is in how the TLD program treats them, in which
> > case the answer should be on the ICANN side.
>
>       The ICANN process is designed towards the goal of delegation, and
> has a great deal of steps in the process of application that make no
> sense at all if delegation is not the goal. Tor do not want delegation,
> and delegation is not appropriate for this intended use (the mitigation
> of privacy leakage that the Tor Project would be able to provide as
> delegated register is considerably less than that proposed in the draft).
> I do not think there is anything useful in demanding that ICANN create a
> slew of separate processes to roughly replicate Special Use Names that
> will never deliver what is wanted, when the Special Use names process
> already exists, and will.

Actually it needs a *insecure* delegation to a empty zone.  This allows
local recursive servers to generate NXDOMAIN responses *locally* rather
than having to recurse and leak the query name in the process further
still and to allow those responses to validate.

The alternative to that is to stop growing the root zone so that every
recursive server on the planet can successfully load it.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org