On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 03:48:49PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> As Evan said, there should not be any code in an authoritative server
> that requires it to do recursive validation.

I said what now?  Had I recently had dental surgery?  I don't remember
this.

If you mean the comment I made on the ANAME thread, I was just saying
that it's possible to implement CNAME flattening without a built-in
resolver; several implementations already do.

(I do believe an authoritative server should be *able* to operate without
built-in recursive code, and enabling such operation is on my list of
things to get around to someday in BIND: if auth servers could be
configured to use external resolvers, then security bugs affecting
only the recursive code wouldn't be any risk to them. But I definitely
wouldn't phrase that as "there should not be any code".)

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.