Hi Tony,

The main reason I can think of is compatibility.

This (BULK-like functionality) is actually happening today.  In fact
several vendors have been offering this very feature in various
incompatible ways simply because of the demand for it.

Why not offer it in a way everyone can benefit?  We continue to receive
requests for this feature and it just made sense to offer it in
a way that zones could be AXFR'd back and forth regardless of vendor
and interoperate in a compatible manner.

> Where I work, we bulk populate reverse v4 DHCP pools just so we know
> that they are pools. We aren't going to bother doing that with v6
> because everything is a pool, except for a relatively small number
> of statically configured switches and servers and suchlike.

When we came up with the concept, it was to solve a v4 problem
and in a way naively believed the basic concept of a minor paradigm
shift from an already existing feature ($GENERATE) would be happily
accepted by the community.

We have literally millions of $GENERATE-based synthesized records
on the IPv4 side of the house.  We see a variety of uses, sure
a majority are pools and rfc2317 delegations but they are all still
there eating memory whether used or not.

Thanks,
John

> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
> South Fitzroy: Northwesterly 4 or 5. Moderate or rough. Showers. Good.

-- THESE ARE THE DROIDS TO WHOM I REFER:
This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential
or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the communication and any attachments.