Peter van Dijk <peter.van.d...@powerdns.com> wrote:

> One could make $GENERATE more efficient without actually implementing
> the BULK RR, by taking your pattern matching logic and implementing it
> inside the name server.

Andrew Sullivan was right to say that there is an advantage to having BULK
as an RR compared to the $GENERATE master file directive, because an RR
makes it easier to interoperate across multiple providers in a
multi-master DNS setup.

I guess a BULK that is just a standardized version of $GENERATE (with
multi-master-only online signing when there's an unfeasible number of
generated records) isn't a completely terrible idea, though it's a lot
less complicated than the current draft.

I'd still like to see lots more specific examples of how it could be used
other than for v6 reverse DNS.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Fisher, German Bight: Northeast backing north 3 or 4, occasionally 5. Slight.