On 16 Jun 2018, at 2:14, Shumon Huque wrote:

Yeah, good point about side channels. Let's stick to recommending
randomization!

Unbound has interesting middle ground here:

       rrset-roundrobin: <yes or no>
If yes, Unbound rotates RRSet order in response (the random number is taken from the query ID,
              for speed and thread safety).  Default is no.

It rotates, but you cannot predict (easily) by how much. It keeps the implementation simple but mostly avoids (as far as I can judge) the side channel.

I do want to point out that the default is ‘no’, suggesting it is getting away with no ‘round robin’ at all in many deployments.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk