On 21. 10. 19 19:18, Tim Wicinski wrote:

> All
>
> The second WGLC period ended, and I needed a bit of time to go over all the
> comments and make sure they were all addressed, and that appears to be true.
>
> The only thing I see are some comments were raised after the -12 version.
> They've been addressed and can be updated on its way to IETF LC.  If someone
> thinks
> I am incorrect please speak up.

I hate to rain on this parade, but I think the draft in its current form has
two major problems:

1. Forwarding semantics is unclear, as was pointed out in
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/PAiQOsYfYQHrL7SeGWZn-jtJrTs
and elsewhere during WGLC.

Personally I think that omiting forwaring is a major mistake because the EDE
code is most useful for diagnostics when forwarding is taking place!

2. Second problem is that it is uncelar if there is going to be a consumer: Did
*anyone* from stub resolvers said a word about this draft? Is it useful as it
is? Is there an experimental implementation in stub to consume this information?
dnsop has history of tweaks which never get used by stubs, and this draft in
particular is very expensive to implement in resolver code.

Besides technical points above I oppose publishing this as standards-track
document before it is fully implementated at least once. Previous
implementation excercise at IETF 104 hackaton uncovered nasty corner cases and
significantly influenced the draft (removal of rcode field etc.). It would be
mistake to publish it without re-implementing it again before publication, we
might find other significant problems.

Thank you.
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC