In section 3.21

3.21.  Extended DNS Error Code 20 - Lame

   An authoritative server that receives a query (with the RD bit clear)
   for a domain for which it is not authoritative SHOULD include this
   EDE code in the SERVFAIL response.  A resolver that receives a query
   (with the RD bit clear) SHOULD include this EDE code in the REFUSED
   response.

The above case is not consistent with current authoritative server behavior.

The authoritative servers I have tested all return REFUSED, not
SERVFAIL, regardless of the query RD bit, when the server does not allow
recursion, and the server is not authoritative for the zone.

I would change to:

3.21.  Extended DNS Error Code 20 - Not Authoritative

   An authoritative server that receives a query (with the RD bit clear,
   or when not configured for recursion) for a domain for which it is
   not authoritative SHOULD include this EDE code in the REFUSED
   response.  A resolver that receives a query (with the RD bit clear)
   SHOULD include this EDE code in the REFUSED response.

IMO, while "lame" is a valid term, quite frankly, it's not nearly as
clear in meaning as just saying "not authoritative". To me, "lame" is at
the delegation (referring server), not the targeted server.

--
Michael Sheldon
Dev-DNS Services