Wessels, Duane wrote on 2023-04-10 06:39:
I think Paul’s definition is good and matches the way I think of a lame
delegation.

My one quibble would be with the ending part that says “that zone is said to
have…” This is somewhat confusing because the definition combines both a
parent-child delegation and an apex/self delegation.  If we’re talking about a
name server in the delegation from com to example.com, I’m not sure it is
correct to say that the example.com zone has the lame delegation.

Perhaps:

“A lame delegation is said to exist when one or more authoritative servers
designated by the delegating NS rrset or by the apex NS rrset answers
non-authoritatively for a zone”.

i accept this as a friendly amendment.