Joe Abley> One nameserver in the delegation set of a particular child zone
might provide
Joe Abley> non-authoritative responses. By my usage, that nameserver is lame
for that zone.
Joe Abley> The delegation of that zone to that nameserver is a lame delegation.
Identified
Joe Abley>  when receiving a response with aa = 0 when aa = 1 was expected.
Possible causes:
Joe Abley> wrong nameserver in the delegation set, incorrect configuration of
the nameserver.

The name server is lame, but the delegation might still work if there are other
name servers in the deletation that are not lame.

Joe Abley>  (All nameservers in the delegation set might be lame, by my
understanding of the
Joe Abley> term. Mats thinks this is the necessary condition to use the term
"lame", if I am
Joe Abley> understanding him correctly. I think Mats' meaning is less useful,
since it's often
Joe Abley> the case that not all nameservers are lame, by my usage, and in
those cases there
Joe Abley> is still something to describe and fix. I am sympathetic to the idea
that "delegation"
Joe Abley>  should refer to a collective of nameservers, a whole NS set, but I
think it's actually
Joe Abley> useful for it to mean that *and also* a single nameserver in a set,
depending on
Joe Abley> context.)

I agree that it is a more common situation that a single server is lame than
that the entire delegation is lame, but the latter is a more severe situation,
which I assume all agree on.

We need a term for when the delegation is lame, and that is what I call “lame
delegation” of a specific zone, and when a single name server i a delegation is
lame, which could be called lame name server, but it has to be specified for
which zone.

Since the term ”lame delegation” refer to the delegation it would be confusing
to let it mean something which does not include the entire delegation. The
delegation is more than a single name server in the delegation.

Mats

---
Mats Dufberg
mats.dufb...@internetstiftelsen.se<mailto:mats.dufb...@internetstiftelsen.se>
Technical Expert
Internetstiftelsen (The Swedish Internet Foundation)
Mobile: +46 73 065 3899
https://internetstiftelsen.se/