> initial questions, if anyone on the list has experience using gcc as a
> cross-compiler.
Yep - I use buildroot a lot.

> What's multilib and how does it fit in with newlib (which I gather I need to
> build for a different target)?
Multilib is a feature of gcc that lets you compile for multiple
architectures with one binary e.g. x86/x86_64, or even x86/ppc (I
think)
Newlib is a C library, replacing glibc or µclibc

> Do I need to do a specific gcc build for m68k (I'm assuming yes, but
> confirmation would be nice!).
Most definitely. You need gcc to compile a static gcc that compiles
code for m68k on your architecture. And maybe including a m68k version
of gcc (only runs on m68k)

> I assume I also need to build binutils for m68k too?
Most definitely again. That's the second thing you put in your
toolchain, after kernel headers. You compile gcc against that.

Hope that helps

Dan

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00