On Monday, 3 April 2017 13:44:17 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I was thinking this Pi was being turned off each night, like the other
> one.  I expect I've forgotten that it's always on.

We could tell them to turn it off; they used to have to do that for the old MP3
Player (a
portable stereo CD/MP3 Player that sat around on the floor of the chancel).
I'd rather it is
left on continuously, but it won't be the end of the world if it has to be
rebooted now and
then.

> If the switches were set into position rather than spring-return to the
> centre then one option would be to configure Raspbian to reboot
> periodically, with your software picking up the settings from the switch
> positions.

True.  Unfortunately they're not so there isn't anything we can do.  I suppose
that I could
set up another apscheduler event to do a reboot at midnight.

> It's headless, with no network, a read-only filesystem, and its outputs
> are LEDs and speakers?  Unless you're planning to blink or chirp status
> reports there's not a lot of options for monitoring.  :-)

Not easily no..

> Can a cable attached to the Pi's serial port be left accessible so you
> can come along with a laptop and USB/serial converter and connect up?
> You'd then have access to the serial console that you'd configured it
> with.

We can connect a monitor and keyboard fairly easily, by opening the lid.

> > That's a bit of a non-flyer too, because dstat doesn't appear to be
> > available in the Raspbian repositories.
>
> I don't have Raspbian here, but
> http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/d/dstat/ suggests it is
> available.

Just realised why I couldn't get it.  I borrowed my wife's Pi 3 and forgot to
let it through the
router.  The Pi's WiFi icon, only tells you that you are connected to a strong
wireless signal,
not that you have a path to the Internet.

> Yes, http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/s/screen/ would do

Ditto above.

> I doubt leaks would be sufficient to consume all that spare memory.
> More likely you'd run out of file descriptors or some other resource
> first, e.g. opening /dev/null each time you play a tune and never

Should I be closing it?  If so, how?

> closing it.  `ls -l /proc/$pid/fd' would show what file descriptors
> process $pid has open at that moment.

I can't make that do anything:

terry@OptiPlex:~$ ls -l /proc/$pid/fd

Whatever, I'm going to run the program again overnight tonight using screen and
dstat
and see what I get.