Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Gene & Jason -

One critique of your otherwise excellent advice.

The 0.82 ohm resistor is actually a wirewound "flameproof" resistor. The wirewound is identified by the "double width" first color band. The value is also not particularly critical, since in this application it is really nothing more than a HV fuse that will explode on overload, clearing the circuit and protecting the power supply. NTE offers flameproof resistors in their replacement line, but anything under 1 ohm is difficult to find. A 1 ohm value is fine in the L-4B. The metal or ceramic oxide resistors are a second choice, at best. I don't know what they do under extreme overload.

Some power supplies include a resistor in this circuit to protect the power supply against transient shorts, such as a tube flashover, but these are a larger value and size (multi-ohm and multi-watt) just to limit the short circuit current.

Fuses DO have voltage ratings, which is the voltage they will interrupt when overloaded, which is why Drake used the resistor instead of a fuse. Small glass fuses are rated at 125V. The higher current automotive types are rated at 32 volts. I'm not sure, but I think that the reduced voltage rating is because the mass of the fusible link is enough to deposit on the inside of the small glass tube.

Collins used a proper HV fuse in the 30S1, that is about 6 inches long. They are expensive, and take a lot of room.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Gene McCalmont wrote:

"Gene McCalmont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang
Hello Jason;

1. You will, of course, have to open the PS to replace R12. If at all
possible, replace R12 with an exact value 2w carbon resistor. If
unavailable, get as close as you can using only what is available in a 2
watt configuration metal oxide composition resistor. Remember, R12 is kind
of like a thermal fuse so any condition that causes excessive current draw
exceeding its 2w dissipation rating, will blow the fuse. Metal oxide
resistors will be slower to "give it up" than carbon, so carbon is the
choice. The value of R12 is important and fortunately, it is a commonly
manufactured part.

Good luck and please keep me informed.
Gene

W5DDW