"Thomas Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Another problem is that even though the piece may weigh 18 lbs, by the time you get it padded and boxed the whole thing may weigh 23 lbs. I've learned this the hard way. Now I add about 20% to the weight of the bare item and find I'm very very close to the packaged weight and cost the UPS calculator comes up with. Also, sometimes you get gigged on rural deliveries with UPS. Their site may give you a cost to a certain zip, but when you take it in to ship they hit you with a $5-$10 rural fee because they don't usually go out as far as the recipient lives. THAT'S the tough one to deal with on the epay calculators.

----- Original Message ----- From: "john" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [drakelist] That shipping estimate is accurate.

john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
I ran the shipping estimate for two packages, one 22 lbs (estimate for rig and mic and packing) and one for 38 lbs (for PS7 power supply) from his zip to mine, and came up with a HIGHER estimate (37$) than did the calculator($33), for UPS ground.

I suspect people who think the estimated costs to be too high, either haven't lifted a PS7 recently OR shipped anything in the last 8 months! Sadly, It is NOT cheap to ship things anymore....

Just thought I'd give an "accuracy check"...

John  K5MO