"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:44:33 -0500, Mike Bryce wrote:

>in the old supplies, the damage is caused by a "lack" of bias. So, if
>there is a failure of the bias supply, i.e. it quits, how can you fix
>that?
>
>the only way I could come up with would have been a system that
>deprives the transformer of it's primary voltage, shutting down the
>supply. It would have to default in the off position too, as you
>would not want the supply to cycle on, find the missing bias, then
>shut down, the power up, find the missing bias supply, shut down and
>on and on.

Here's my thinking: a simple transistor/relay circuit powered by the heater
supply. The transistor is biased off by the negative BIAS supply voltage.
BIAS goes away, transistor turns on. Transistor pulls relay that removes high
voltage from the radio. Or crowbars the high voltage, pick your poison.
Design in a threshold so that is fires if the BIAS supply output drops lower
than XX volts. You could even have it light a big red light labeled "NO BIAS,
DUMMY!"....

I'd do it, but I've got to get back to that HyGain 3750 that's vexing me
today.

73

-Jim

--
Jim Shorney      -->.<--Put complaints in this box
jshorney (at) inebraska.com