Ron Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Rich,
It has been a while since I had my TR3, but I do remember that a 600 ohm hand mic I had tried was not good match for the rig. I would guess 2K ohms would be in the ball park. They were made in the days of high impedence mics.

As far as getting only a few watts out, how are you measuring that? Most watt meters I have seen (unless they are peak reading) only show a few watts of RF on the Drakes while measuring SSB. Drakes are not using compression, so they have a very large peak to average power ratio. What that means is that unless the meter is designed to read peak power, it will show a very low average power. Average power being what most meters read. My TR7 typically shows about 5 watts on my Drake MN4 watt meter. And I know that on a peak watt meter I have ~200 watts going out.

One last thing, on AM it will also show low power. Drakes use controlled carrier AM. That is the carrier changed as you spoke. What that does is lower the heat on the finals. The TV sweep tubes were designed for high peak, low average power. If you ran them any other way, you wore them out very quickly. Ideal for uncompressed SSB service, not so good for other service.

Hope this helps.

73,
Ron WD8SBB