"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:36:19 -0500, Eugene Balinski wrote:

>"Eugene Balinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
>Definitely  replace the mic.  Look for something with an
>impedance of approx 50k ohms  (Hi-z).   I have seen plenty
>of hand mics that will do that.

>From the description, the Collins mic he has already has a transformer in it.
I wouldn't toss the Collins mic on the heap just yet, there may be a problem
in the mic circuit of the radio.

It should also be pointed out that measuring DC resistance with an ohmmeter
is not the same as measuring impedance. You are only measuring the DC
resistance of the wire. This will not provide an accurate measurement of
impedance, it will only tell you (in the case of a transformer) which side is
high and which is low. To measure the actual impedance, you need to get a
little fancier.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain