Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
All except R65 and C80 are related to AVC attack and decay times. Drake didn't change them because they got a "buy" on surplus parts! :-)

None of them are difficult to do, and there are no hard to get parts involved, with the exception of the switch. Personally, I hardly ever use Fast AVC. I suppose it would allow faster response to fading AM signals, and might be necessary for full break-in CW, but other than that...

That said, if you can't find a dpdt switch with a red handle, I would replace R47 with a 33k resistor, (or 31.5k equivalent to the combination of R47 and R71 in Slow AVC,) and go. It's possible that this would result in "thumping" or other unwanted effect on Fast AVC, but perhaps not. If it did, you could begin raising the value for the best "compromise".

Darrell Bellerive wrote:
Garey has confirmed that the schematic that came with my 2-B manual is the proper manual that came with the 2-B from the factory.

My schematic is numbered 124614500.

Comp.     MySchematic     s/n 5735    Late Version
C34            0.005uF         0.005uF      0.005uF
C63            0.0024uF       0.0024uF    0.001uF
C67            0.01uF           0.01uF        0.001uF
C80            N/A                 N/A             0.02uF
R47            68k                68k             680k
R65            1.5k 1/2w       1.5k 1w      1.5k 1w
R71            N/A                 N/A             33k

So now the question becomes, is it worth updating my 2-B to match the latest version from Drake?

I would have to change C63, C67, R47, and add R71, C80 and replace the AVC switch with a double pole version.

Looks like C67 and R47 are part of a timing circuit in the AVC. Both components have been shifted an order of magnitude from the early 2-B to the late 2-B.

C63 is also part of the AVC. I'm not certain as to what it's function is, but I suspect changing it will alter the frequencies that influence the AVC action.

Garey already stated that C80 is an additional filter on the Bias supply, and R71 decreases the IF AVC attack time in Slow AVC.

Looks like someone already changed R65 to a 1 watt.

Should I make the changes or not?

73, Darrell VA7TO